Strawberry Shortcake is one of my favourite desserts! So, I’ve taken a healthy spin on it by making it dairy-free, gluten-free and a tasty frozen dessert! This Dairy-Free Strawberry Shortcake is a cold dessert, but so delicious! I love this have this one on hot summer days when you need a chilly treat to cool down with. Made with coconut milk, this recipe is sweet and creamy but without dairy!
To add some colour to this recipe, I grated strawberries and added them to the top! I love this recipe so much, I think next time I will try it with some other berries!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
One of the reasons you will love this Dairy-Free Strawberry Shortcake dessert is for the tasty crust! The almond flour and honey are a great combination for a sweet crust that you can use for many recipes! If you like to have ice cream, you will also love this recipe! It has a frosty top made with coconut milk and a sweet honey base.
TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Chill cans of coconut milk for at least 4 hours to get the coconut cream to the top of the can
- This dessert is hard once it comes out of the freezer. Let it thaw out for a few minutes before enjoying, but don’t let it melt!
- Decorate it with shaved frozen strawberries or whole strawberries to add colour to your dessert
OTHER RECIPES TO TRY IF YOU LOVED THIS ONE
Dairy-Free Strawberry Shortcake
- 3/4 cup of almond flour
- 3 tbsp of coconut oil
- 3 tbsp of honey
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 2 cans of 400g chilled full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 7 frozen whole strawberries
- Line an 8-inch pan with parchment paper. This will make it easier to remove the squares. Leave a bit of parchment paper over the edges.
- To make the crust, combine the almond flour, coconut oil, 3 tbsp of honey, cinnamon, vanilla powder and salt in a bowl. Mix well with a spatula and spread thinly in the lined pan
- To make the filling spoon the coconut cream off the top of the can into a bowl.
- With a hand or stand blender, mix the coconut cream for 2 minutes until it is creamy
- Add honey and mix with blender for 2 more minutes
- Pour the filling over the crust and press the 6 whole strawberries into the filling
- Smooth out with a spatula covering the whole strawberries with the coconut cream mixture
- Grate the extra strawberry to get the strawberry topping over the filling
- Freeze overnight or for at least 3 hours!
- When you remove from the freezer the next day. Heat up knife by running it under hot water, this will help to cut the frozen dessert into squares
- Chill cans for at least 4 hours to get the coconut cream to the top of the can
- Dessert is hard once it comes out of the freezer. Let it thaw out for a few minutes before enjoying, but don’t let it melt!